Do you want to buy portable plasma cutters? Portable plasma cutters are devices that you use to cut through various metals and materials. They are ideal as you can carry them from one point to another. In this guide, we look at how these devices work and what to look out for when buying them.
How Portable Plasma Cutters Work
- Portable Plasma cutters work by sending an electric arc through an inert gas stream that’s high speed, For example, compressed air, oxygen or nitrogen. These gases pass through a narrow opening. The gas temperature gets elevated to a 4th state extent that's known as Plasma.
- This hot plasma state is what you use to cut metal. The electric activity in the Plasma makes the arc transfer the work while you are cutting the metal or material. You should understand that the nozzle causes the gas in the plasma cutter to pass at high speed, enabling you to cut the metal.
- The gas concentrates at the cutting area, as the plasma shields the cut. Best portable plasma cutters integrate a pilot arc between the electrode and the nozzle for better plasma generation and gas ionization before the arc transfer.
Advantage of Using Portable Plasma Cutters
- As the name suggests, you can carry them around. That enables you to perform your metal cutting activities around your home, or for trade’s people such as plumbers, to do their jobs quickly.
- Portable plasma cutters are cleaner for metal and material cutting than saws.
- They enable you to cut through metal without emitting too much heat and in fine lines.
What to Consider When Buying Them
Portability and Cooling
- You should purchase portable plasma cutters that you can carry around. You should also look for those with handles that enable you to move them from sites, homes or even plants.
- Best portable plasma cutters also have inbuilt storage facilities that you can store essentials such as repair parts. That’s because you may use them far from your home or workplace.
- They should also have cooling features. That’s because you may need to use then for long hours. Since its center is where hot air builds up, you should buy those with quality cooling systems. That helps to prolong their usage.
- The whole idea of buying portable plasma cutters is to use them away from the workplace or your home, so you should invest in those that have inbuilt inverters. They enable you to use them even when you don’t have power around.
- That’s by using Direct Current DC power through a transistor inverter. This inverter should be of the high-frequency type. For example 10 KHz 200 KHz. Depending on your budget, these inverters add costs to portable plasma cutters, but they also increase its usage and portability.
Duty Cycle and Input Voltage
- You should ensure that your portable plasma cutters wiring comes configured. Depending on your budget, most portable plasma cutters get wired at 110,120 and 220 volts.
- Depending on the level of your voltage outlet, you should choose a portable plasma cutter that can handle high voltage. You should also look for plasma cutters that come with a dual meter. That enables you to adjust amperage according to your needs.
- You should also check out its duty cycle. That’s because longer duty cycles allow you to cut metals for more extended hours. This duty cycle gets determined by the amperage output. The more, the better it is.
- Depending on your budget, you should choose plasma cutters with greater cutting thickness. You should check out the material or metal you intend to work on before the purchase of a portable plasma cutter.
- Severance cuts of 5/8 and 1" can be carried out by a majority of plasma cutters, but they need patience and steady hands. Clean cuts of 1/2" can be done quickly without much effort.
- You should choose portable plasma cutters that can cut metals below 2". That's because they perform better than oxyfuels.
Arc and Torch
- You should choose portable plasma cutters that have pilot arcs. This arc prevents contact between the material that you will be cutting and the torch.
- That prolongs the life of the nozzle. You should also look for those with starter sets that allow you to position the light. That enables you to see the arc accurately.
- You should also consider brand torches, which you can move their triggers as you prefer. Their head should also be able to go through small positions.
Purchasing the best portable plasma cutters should be easy using the above guide. The key points to remember is buying those that adequately suit your needs and budget requirements. You should also check online reviews about these portable plasma cutters before buying.